For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, June 26, 2009

Gotcha!

No need to rush off and check your calendar, it really is friday. All the blood must have rushed to my head I know. Well it's a funny end to a funny day. I wasn't at work today, officially not at work, not skiving or anything so I had huge plans, ha! Rule number one, don't make big plans, not a chance of it happening. I have hardly done anything creative. It's this weather, you are going to learn something about me now, I cannot abide it. It leaves me feeling like a limp lettuce. Hence the reason I love Sweden, in the winter. I get really annoyed when the weather men on t.v are all smiley and happy saying ''it's great weather, fantastic forecast'' IN WHOSE OPINION. So now you know, I am the original summer disliker, roll on december!
I did manage to muster enough enthusiasm to finish these. Boy were these a challenge. They are silk beads, heavily embellished with french knots and silver purl added. Only problem, I had a great idea, make them tiny, precious. The plan was to make 20 to fill one of my jars only I wouldn't live long enough.....I would need nearer 200 and they took sooooooooo long to make. I do like them but it's fair to say they are the first and last, only a hermit could live on the wage they would bring. So feast your eyes for the one and only time you will see them!



and here they are all packaged up ready for the makey do. As always happens in the summer I have now got a surge of energy, evening you see, not as warm. So a doll is taking shape in my lounge who will be exceptionally pretty and going on her holidays to Kent in July, now that excites me!

11 comments:

Threadspider said...

You had better price those buttons to reflect the amount of work you put into them, especially if they are never to be repeated. They look very special.
And now you are free to make the doll you have been hankering to start. Yippee!

Jacky said...

The buttons look beautiful Karen (and are obviously a lot of work).

I am very excited you are making another doll...they are very special and I love to see each one evolve.

Good luck with your Makey-Do and all of the other business in your life.

Jacky xox

connie said...

They may be a lot of work but they are really lovely! I agree with you December is a wonderful month! I have always said that I was meant to live on an iceberg with my Scandinavian ancestors.

hens teeth said...

You have the patience of a Saint, you really do. I think I may have made one button and threw the rest up the wall!!! Exquisite though.

Jane said...

How beautiful are they! Can't wait for the next doll, I've loved everyone of those

Gina said...

Those buttons are so precious!

Art4Sol said...

Love the new buttons....they're beauties!

Tammie Lee said...

I completely enjoy seeing your wonderful art. Your talent and creativity always makes me smile. So glad I found your blog!

Ulla said...

These are lovely! The hot weather is not good for your work; if you get sweatty hands it will be ruined. I wish you fresh winds.

Victoria said...

I hope you keep a few just for yourself... they are lovely.

Katy Swift said...

I agree about the weather. My staff are banned from talking about it unless they want to watch me throw up - it makes me claustraphobic and sick.

Glad you enjoyed Glasto - would love to have been there but at least you can sew and you don't need to queue for yucky loos.

x