For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Simply pleasure

The start of 'my grandmother's tablecloth'. (pink free zone!!) This is as yet unstretched, allthough it's far from finished I don't usually like posting unstretched work. Damp stretching adds so much to a piece of cloth that this would look hugely different. I have no firm plan for this piece, the only definite decision made so far is the size and I can't even tell you what that is , I didn't measure it, I simply cut the fabric where it felt right. I do damp stretch a piece more than once, for example I could damp stretch this then work some more and damp stretch again but I couldn't bear it being pinned to a board, not accessible to embroider. So, I am going to work on it some more, enjoy the pleasure and damp stretch before my next post. I have a feeling this piece will be around for a long time before it's finished as I love the creation of it so much.

Peeping through the cutwork I have an old gingham table cloth and lace scraps. Both of these were bought from a charity shop and came from my stash. I am trying very hard to use pattern and shape that would have been seen on cloth's used by our grandmother's allthough I am sure I won't manage to avoid a little artistic licence!




These colours are a huge contrast to the colours I used for my cushions. I will definitely go back to that colour palette but for the moment I am enjoying the 'quiet' of white and pale. This week I also want to start another cushion, a gift, I can't tell you who for, I will show you though as soon as it begins to take shape.

9 comments:

Jane said...

I find these colours are so relaxing, can't wait to see how this develops

Anonymous said...

ooh Karen, this is looking beautiful already and I agree, so calming the cool colours. I love the tonal contrast you've got, where the gingham peeks through the white...

Ulla said...

I like the new colours and the gingham!

konnykards .. Musings of a Senior Citizen said...

Each detail is gorgeous! Connie.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Hello Karen,
I've been looking in on your blog for a few months now, and I just have to tell you that I think your work is absolutely beautiful - colours, designs and the execution of it! Thanks for sharing it!
Janice.

Diane Cransac said...

This is so beautiful and certainly evokes a nostalgic feel. Karen, over and over again, I fall in love with your work!

Tangled Stitch said...

This is very beautiful. The work is extraordinary

méri said...

So pretty. I love your whites, your pales, your blues, your pinks et cetera - everything has your touch.

Gina said...

This is a lovely subdued palette.