For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Round!

It's a circular post today! I have made a couple of pin cushions. One is an order for the shop, one is a gift. That is why I haven't shown much of it here. if you look closely at the first picture of the buttons I made you can just see a small amount of embroidered text, part of the 'gift' pincushion. I can't tell you what it says, that would give it away and although the person who this one is for doesn't have access to the internet, you never know who is looking!















I have started to embellish the lining for 'swaddling band one'. Hopefully I will have some pics next time but don't hold your breath as it is taking forever, work etc etc. I have been so busy this week and it's also my gift making season, I'm sure it is for you too, so I am going to have to be very carefull about what I reveal on here.
My lovely husband bought me the most amazing present this week for our wedding anniversary. I am definitely going to take pics and post them here next time, I can't wait for you to see, It's so exciting!
Finally, sorry it's short, hope you don't mind, If I owe you a comment or an e-mail or I haven't visited for ages please bear with me, It is definitely on my 'to do' list!




4 comments:

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

That sounds exciting Karen.
The small fabric beads would make beautiful buttons.

Gina said...

Everything is so beautiful. I'm sure it was your beautiful buttons that inspired me to make little covered buttons with text for my last opus mudule.

méri said...

I'm with you. Some pictures can appear later...
You've excited my curiosity :))

and note: you owe nobody nothing (this sounds bad in English...)

jackie said...

Enjoy your blog and have 'tagged' you on mine. Not to worry if you are too busy to join in.