For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, October 18, 2008

Loving the colour

I had such big plans for this weekend, cleaning, washing, sewing, sewing, sewing and more sewing! But, the best laid plans and all that! Last night my washing machine decided to die, R.I.P.
So my saturday started with a trip to the launderette, or the 'washing shop' as my kids used to call it when they were little, which actually I think is a much nicer name for it. Now I have wet washing all over the house and it is definitely cramping my style and my brain. It's not all bad news though, I have started to join the squares from my last post. I am really excited about this band, it seems I am so frightened of colour yet when I start to use it in my work it gives me so much pleasure. At the moment the squares, well shapes, are only tacked to the templates but I am sure you can get an idea of how it's all coming together.


I have used fresh new fabric, the ticking and gingham, alonside vintage scraps which I have cut up. My stock of new fabric is really poor, apart from silk I haven't really bought much over the past few years. That has given me a huge dilemma!!!! Not!!! I will just have to buy more new fabric, striped, checked.....that is definitely something I am looking forward to.
At the moment my new swaddling band series consists of this piece, the hook and eye sample and this. At some stage I am going to have to get my sewing machine out to put all these together, add edges etc, because of the laundry situation though I think I will leave that part until my weeks holiday (yipeee...I am running around my house with excitement) which is the week after next. You have no idea how excited I am that I soon have a holiday!!!!
Anyway, I digress, hopefully over this next week I will get lots more ideas together, samples made and hey presto, when I have my holiday they will all be edged, backed and finshed.
Have an amazing laundry free weekend!

10 comments:

jude said...

karen, i love what you are doing. you have a real feel for color and it is just enhancing your control over texture arrangement.

méri said...

Lovely, Karen! For me it's new such beautiful colours together in your work! Just pretty, all your work, with or without colour, so exquisite, always!

Jane said...

Makes a real change, but it is lovely. Like how you have mixed vintage and new fabric together. Hope the next week goes quickly for you so you can enjoy the week off

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

I like the mix of different fabrics.
Have you tried embroidering vintage style onto the ticking fabric or in the cream squares of the gingham?
x

Anonymous said...

Wow. love this work,
jill

Jackie said...

I know that feeling very well! But it will be good be looking forward to working on such a lovely piece. I think you should stick with colour for a bit.(But I'm biased!)

Jacky said...

Wow... I love how you use colour and it was very "exciting" to see this new piece.
I have been on holidays for a few weeks so havent been able to visit my favourite blogs...it made me smile to see this beautiful piece.
I'm glad colour makes you happy, I know it does me too.

Jacky xox

Needles said...

Red? Red? Karen, this really speaks to me. I love the blues, and the gentle delicate embroideries you have been working with, but this just knocks my socks off.

Gayle said...

This is fantastic! It's so fun to see this come to life. :-)

Victoria said...

Wow, I had some post reading catching up to do... you are one busy and productive lady! I adore your sketches, and so admire your bravery, as I also am very shy about showing such things. The new creative direction is fabulous, which is no surprise as I think all your work is fab! Enjoy your holiday!!