For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, June 27, 2008

I feel like I am making progress. Yesterday was a day for making little cards to attach my brooches to, they look so much better now.

It was also a day for packaging these up to send off to a customer,

and a day for making these,

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations on the job...I am getting a bit nervous now and I don't start until august! A few of you have asked about the paper I have been working with, I don't make my own, I have in the past but there is no time anymore for that. Basically I just experiment with stitch on various weights of paper, sometimes sandwiching fabric between sheets, other times stitching directly onto the paper. The pic here is of machine embroidery onto very heavy paper.

Now I have a question.......where have all my readers gone???????????? My stats look pathetic at the moment. I know some people have google reader and things which don't show on the stats, well boo to google reader etc because I am feeling neglected!!
I hope you have a lovely weekend, I am going to a wedding tomorrow, hope the weather improves!

13 comments:

méri said...

:)
Of course you are not neglected!!
Happy weekend and good luck to the newly-weds

Jane said...

Definitely still here, love looking at the work you do

Kaija said...

Oh don't worry, they're just hiding somewhere together with my readers, who have magically disappeared too. Or maybe not magically, just because I don't have the time to write as often as I used to.

I love how your brooches look on the cards! So beautiful that I think I need to sew something myself today.

Anonymous said...

I read your updates (every time) through bloglines - hope that registers somewhere....

Kerry

Melbourne

Camilla said...

Hello i'm still here! I read via bloglines each and every post. I really should comment some more, but i've been struck down with strange health problems recently which have kept me from my computer.

Camilla said...

ps- I noticed a teeny photo of your stall in either the latest Embroidery magazine, or Crafts- they both arrived on the same day so I can't remember which! It's in the background and very small but you can just make out your hanging pieces and a bit of your name!

Victoria said...

Your machine embroidered paper fascinates me!
I must experiment with this!

And don't feel bad... I have been wondering where everyone has gone lately, too. I think everyone is just extra busy with summer activities.

Claire said...

I'm a google reader reader :-)

linda said...

first time stopping by here. i think that lucky customer is me! hope it's a beautiful day for you.

jennyflowerblue said...

Back off hols. Back to checking up on you most days! (back to neglecting my poor family!)

Threadspider said...

I'm still here too-been galloping about the Uk and turning our house into a constant visitor's retreat-but nearly normal again. Many congrats on that job too-will you be teaching your stitching or something else?

Katy Swift said...

I'm not sure what I am but I read!!

Gorgeous work as always. Hmmm it's got me thinking about some button ideas. Oh and there's another one. Must go and write it down. Thank you.

Jackie said...

Time for me to leave lurkdom and say that your brooches look very professional on the cards, thats my favourite font too.
Found you through Hens teeth..but I know you too. And you know me.Hi!