For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, January 17, 2008

Progress report

I have finally finished joining all my hexagons together. I know it has taken me an age but people keep asking to be fed and washing keeps appearing in the basket and then there is that little insignificant thing called sleep, what an inconvenience! Anyway, here is a pic of all the card templates removed from the back of my work, ready to be recycled of course,



Here is a pic of the back of said work,




and here is a pic of my lap when I had finished, black is probably not the best colour to wear when you are working with something that sheds fibres everywhere.




Now I have to make another template, for the embroidery I intend to use to embellish the patchwork. I will keep you posted!

5 comments:

Ulla said...

An apron is a wonderful invention for keeping your clothes free from shed fibers, color stains and accidental scissor holes! I'm wearing one almost all the time.

Kaija said...

She's right about the scissor holes! And other things too, but especially the scissor holes...

Congrats on finishing with the hexagons! Sometimes I see things in pixels and I think seeing hexagons isn't any nicer :)

Karen said...

I think I will definitely get myself an apron. My friend Bev makes beautiful aprons that are more like works of art, probably too good for everyday use. Perhaps I will make myself one!Thanks...xx

Needles said...

Karen, today, yes I would swap damp Lancashire for cold Edmonton. But I confess I do like my winters, just not the really fierce cold. Crisp clear, and about -18 C with no breeze is a prefect day!

Anonymous said...

Wow - so many things I must comment on! I LOVE the hexagons - I once tried to make a quilt top with them - got about 40 done and quit - they are so time consuming but so beautiful! I would love a new Pfaff, too!!! I have an old one - and I half pray that it dies every day - but then I'd have to spend all that money on a new one so I then pray that it keeps running! I'm so glad you didn't get your blog - it's such a source of inspriation for me - and others! Nan