For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, October 29, 2007






Hi. Thought I would share something different today. Not new work, more like rediscovered work. I am going to call them my 'works on paper' just to prove that the word 'paper' isn't really scary! (remember my discussion about the design sheet a few posts ago!) I created these as a brief for interior wall art during my degree course and feel they deserve to see the light of day, instead of being firmly zipped inside a stuffy folio case. Have a look, let me know what you think, (please leave a comment...I don't get many!) They have also just gone on my website with a few other things so check them out there,



2 comments:

Austin said...

It all looks very good Karen. I particurly like the one in the middle - traditional but modern at the same time. You will have to help me decorate the interior of my house, if I could ever afford one, or afford you for that matter.

ashley rose helvey said...

wow! your work is so beautiful!